[typo] Typo being slow after new posts

Eamon Ford eamonford at mac.com
Thu Jun 7 14:23:06 EDT 2007

On Jun 7, 2007, at 2:32 AM, Piers Cawley wrote:

> On 06/06/07, Eamon Ford <eamonford at mac.com> wrote:

>>> What version of typo are you using?
>>>
>> Sorry, forgot to mention that: I'm using Typo 4.1.1.
>
> One minute's pretty extreme to render a page - do you know what kind
> of load the system is under? (There have been cases when the system
> takes a long time to respond to a change because it's taking a long
> time to flush the cache - and cache flushing is on mental 'to be
> fixed' list, but it doesn't usually take so long to render a page...
> What sidebars are you using? Are many of them based on RSS feeds?

Sorry, now that I actually time it, it's not 1 minute... It's about
25 seconds. Time passes slowly when you're waiting. :) But still, 25
seconds seems like a long time.
I'm running it on an old 400MHz G3 iMac (which is dedicated to
serving Typo, so it's not doing anything else processor-intensive).
When Typo is taking a long time to load, the processor usage goes up
to about 40-70%... Is this supposed to happen?

>>> Tangentially, it would be really handy if we had an
>>> /admin/about_this_typo link somewhere which would give us a nice
>>> potted description of the typo installation and its environment.
>>
>> How would I go about doing that? Does Typo have a page that shows all
>> the installation info, or should I make it myself? Sorry, I'm new to
>> Typo, so I don't know the ins and outs.
>
> Ah, that was aimed more at the list in general than you in particular.
> Typo doesn't have a page that shows all the installation info, and I'm
> not quite sure what info really needs to go there... probably
> something along the lines of Ruby version, RAILS_ENV, Caching state,
> operating system, database, schema version, typo version and/or SVN
> revision, list of plugins installed, a pretty printed representation
> of blog.settings, List of sidebars. (All this needs to have any
> passwords obscured, of course...)

Ah, OK.