[typo] Typo and Trackbacks

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 11:18:30 EDT 2007

On 7/20/07, Adam Gill <adamgill1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rick DeNatale wrote:
> > What's the current state of trackbacks in Typo?  I can't seem to get
> > trackbacks to another blog to work.  The stuff I find googling for
> > typo trackback and the like confuses me.
> >
> > Is there someplace in the UI to put the trackback url of a post you
> > are trying to track back to?
> > That's how movable type seems to do things.
> > http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/trackback.html
> >
> > Just how is this supposed to work in typo?
> >

> In the Settings area of the Admin area (i.e. the first page of the Admin
> area) there's a bit that says:
> "When publishing articles, Typo can send trackbacks to websites that you
> link to. This should be disabled for private blogs as it will leak
> non-public information to sites that you're discussing. For public
> blogs, there's no real point in disabling this."
> Just below this text there's a text that says "Send trackbacks" - make
> sure it's enabled. From the looks of it Typo will automatically send
> trackbacks when you link to websites in blog posts, as long as you link
> to the trackback URL, though I'm not sure as I'm new to Typo myself.
>
> This blog post -
> http://blog.vazexqi.com/articles/2006/10/31/testing-trackback-in-typo -
> seems to support this view. He links to a trackback URL in his post and
> then edits it saying Typo automatically sent a trackback, so hopefully
> that's how it works.

That's what I thought too, but note what happens if you click on the
link in that article, you won't get to the article he's referencing.
The trackback url is different than the article's url, and I don't see
any way that typo could automatically figure out how to ping the right
one.

So I tried adding a hidden trackback url reference in my article like so:
style="display:none;">t</a>
The idea is to simulate the movable type field for a trackback url.

But this doesn't seem to work, after saving the article again, it
looks okay, the hidden url reference shows up in the html source, but
the trackback isn't showing up in the referenced article.  I'm not
sure if this is because:

   1) Typo isn't processing the a tag because of the style.
   2) Typo isn't pinging when an existing article is editted and saved.
   3) Some other typo quirk
   4) It's getting there but I can't see it because of caching
somewhere, although reloading the other article in firefox with the
shift key depressed (which I think forces not using the local cache)
doesn't show an update.
   5) Something else.

Interestingly, I had another trackback quirk in typo recently when I
referred to one of my own articles with it's regular link, and typo
did generate a bogus trackback entry which showed up in the feedback
admin list.
--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby