[typo] Migrating from SQLite3->PostgreSQL

Mitch Pirtle mitch at spacemonkeylabs.com
Mon Jul 16 22:12:06 EDT 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 17:45 , Steve Lenti wrote:

> pretty much you do a backup and it saves your data to a .yaml file
> then you change your database engine and do a restore.  I haven't
> personally tested it but in theory it should work fine.

Thanks for the pointer Steve, that's pretty handy to know...

However I think it's safe to say it isn't ready for PostgreSQL yet.
There's no information for sequences, for example. So if you
"restore" a database with 50 tags into a clean PG-backed Typo, your
sequence still thinks it needs to start at 1. So your very first
INSERT (say, when you add a new tag record) goes *boom*. I'm willing
to manually adjust all sequences as there aren't all that many, but...

Making things worse is the feedback table, which somehow has changed
despite me not consciously making any. I'll try some db:migrate
voodoo and see how far that gets me.

And after that: Manual SQL it is, then!

-- Mitch, setting off for a long, dull night of cut-n-paste ;-)