[typo] Typo 5.0 "Eugene Atget" for Rails 2.0 is out

Ben Reubenstein benr at x-cr.com
Sun Dec 30 16:15:58 EST 2007

Hi Frederic ~

Awesome work! I am excited to migrate.  For those of us upgrading, are there
any special things we need to do besides pulling the latest version,
migrating our database, and checking the sidebar items we use?
 I apologize if this is addressed somewhere in the doc.
~ Ben

On 12/30/07, Frederic de Villamil <frederic at de-villamil.com> wrote:

> Typo 5.0 "Eugène Atget" finally finished after about 7 month of
> making. This in an important release, stuffed with great new features,
> loads of fixes and an incredible amount of polish. This may sound like
> DHH introduction to Rails 2.0, and it does, because Typo 5.0 now runs
> with Ruby on Rails 2.0 and won't run with anything else. That's the
> reason of the major version change.
>
> Before jumping into the breakdown of features, I'd just like to extend
> my deep gratitude towards everyone who helped make this release
> possible. From Piers who made this possible to the (hundreds of)
> contributors who got a patch applied to everyone on #typo who kept the
> spirit alive. You can all be mighty proud of the role you played.
> Cheers!
>
> ** Why Eugène Atget ? **
>
> I've wanted to give our releases a name for a while now, but we needed
> to find a path we should follow from along the versions. Piers and I
> are both photographers, and most of the visible work on Typo has been
> done in Paris, which is a town Atget spent his life to picture. That's
> the reason why his name came first when we had to choose one.
>
> ** Sidebars removal **
>
> As we announced earlier, we've decided to move most of the sidebars
> plugins out of the trunk. There are many reasons why we think that,
> out of some basic functionnalities, sidebars should be third party
> softwares apart performances issues. We'll continue to maintain these
> plugins anyway.
>
> If you're using one of the following plugins, be sure to install it,
> or your blog may explode with lots of nasty error messages.
>
> – AIM presence
> – Audioscrobbler
> – Backpack
> – Delicious
> – Flickr
> – 43 things
> – 43 places
> – Magnolia
> – Recent comments
> – Tada
> – Upcoming
> – Xbox
>

> Plugins are now in our plugins repository (
> http://svn.typosphere.org/typo/plugins/
> ), and installs like any rails plugin. Expect basic archives soon.
>
> ** Code refactoring **
>
> The immerged part of the iceberg, but not the least one, most of the
> existing code has been rewriten. Typo was started when Rails was
> young, very young, and lots of things were added to the framework
> after we had to write them.
>
> The result is impressive in terms of performances, and bug fixing as
> well.
>
> ** Admin refactoring**
>
> Admin has been entirely revamped, twice, between 4.1 and 5.0, and
> we're quite proud of how it works now.
>
> The existing admin was the result of a scaffold during Typo early
> days, and even though some improvements has been done, many things
> were not as user friendly as they should have been. New admin now aims
> [...]

Ben Reubenstein
303-947-0446
http://www.x-cr.com