[typo] Typo plugins issues

Frederic de Villamil neuro at 7el.net
Sun Apr 15 13:09:21 EDT 2007

Hi list,

Between 4.0 and 4.1, there were lots of changes in the plugins
architecture.
Plugins have been rewriten to become simple rails plugins you can
install with script/plugin install {#PLUGIN_SOURCE_URI}.

We've been talking about this lately Piers and I. We're going to
remove most of them from the application core and set up an official
plugin repository.

This aims at 4 things
– Enlighten Typo as much as we can.
– Stop waiting for a new Typo release each time a service changes its
API. We'll just update the plugins.
– Remove redundancy : I guess most people don't use both delicious
and magnolia. And I wonder how much of you really use the xbox card
plugin

Here are the plugins we're going to leep in the trunk :
– Archives (will be activated in the default install)
– Amazon (because it interacts with some text filters, it's a good
example to show)
– Categories (will be activated in the default install)
– Recent comments
– Statics (with Typo developers blogroll activated by default)
– Tags
– XML syndication (will be activated in the default install)

We'll start moving less used plugins starting today, and the whole
change will be removed at the next release. Remember using the trunk
is always at your own risks.

Cheers,
Frédéric
--