[typo] Catching up with Rails

Matt Rose mattrose at folkwolf.net
Thu Sep 28 20:59:08 EDT 2006

On 28-Sep-06, at 12:17 PM, Piers Cawley wrote:

> Matt Rose <mattrose at folkwolf.net> writes:
>> I say do it.  Every good project needs a good ground-up rewrite
>> now and
>> then, and I think typo is past due.  There's a lot of cruft in
>> typo that
>> just needs to go.  Can anyone say, AJAX Sidebar activation?
> Actually, that's fixable. But it's been problematic because it really
> didn't sit well with the workings of the sidebar object; we're
> roundtripping to the database far too often when we could/should be
> letting the browser retain the information. I've been planning a
> rewrite for about a yonk though.

Is this why my new sidebar goes to the database to grab the
information twice?

I've been puzzling this one over for quite some time.  I have a
sidebar that's pretty much complete now, however, it takes well over
30 seconds to load.   When I look at the logs, it's because the
sidebar goes back to the database and loads the feeds and builds the
feed, which is a pretty time consuming thing to do, and does it twice.

Why is this?