[typo] Catching up with Rails

Matt Rose mattrose at folkwolf.net
Thu Sep 28 10:17:09 EDT 2006

I say do it.  Every good project needs a good ground-up rewrite now and
then, and I think typo is past due.  There's a lot of cruft in typo that
just needs to go.  Can anyone say, AJAX Sidebar activation?

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Piers Cawley wrote:

> You may or may not know that I have a local branch in my SVK
> repository in which I'm trying to make typo work with edge rails.
> It's, ah, fun.
> I've reached the point where I am seriously considering removing a
> huge amount of code, leaving only the basic article permalinks and
> index/search pages as they are, then slowly adding (probably starting
> with posting a new article via the web) back in ways that play well
> with the new Rails Way; otherwise we end up pissing into the wind.
> This may take a while. But I'm not entirely sure it's a bad
> idea. We're carrying a great deal of cruft in the typo codebase where
> it turns out that we've zigged before rails zagged.
> My initial roadmap for this approach is looking like:
> * Strip out everything but the basic blog display.
> * Think about URL design for everything but permalinks, ideally moving
>  to a RESTful structure. The current /articles tree doesn't really
>  play well with the resourceful approach, but that's fine - it's a
>  useful archive structure when you're looking at the blog as a blog.
>  Currently I'm thinking in terms of resources like:
>  /entries  => Articles treated as Resources
>  /comments
>  /trackbacks
>  /feedback => conflating comments and trackbacks, useful for spam
>               stopping
>  /sidebars
>  /pages
>  /sessions => RESTful authentication
>  /categories
>  /tags
>  /categorizations
>  /taggings
>  /users
>  /rules    => Spam policy
>  /blogs
>  But I expect this to be a process of discovery.
> * Add comments + Akismet based spam checking
> * Add RESTful authentication.
> * Add article/page posting
> My thinking is that most features should go back in quite quickly and
> we'll end up with a rather more robust application that gets to hand
> more stuff off to Rails than we're currently doing. We're more and
> more out of step with the framework and that's causing us pain.

Matt Rose     mattrose at folkwolf.net    Visit my blog!  http://folkwolf.net
He's an immortal dishevelled boxer with acid for blood. She's a
bloodthirsty hip-hop museum curator with a knack for trouble. They
fight crime!