[typo] Catching up with Rails

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Thu Sep 28 06:01:40 EDT 2006

You may or may not know that I have a local branch in my SVK
repository in which I'm trying to make typo work with edge rails.

It's, ah, fun.

I've reached the point where I am seriously considering removing a
huge amount of code, leaving only the basic article permalinks and
index/search pages as they are, then slowly adding (probably starting
with posting a new article via the web) back in ways that play well
with the new Rails Way; otherwise we end up pissing into the wind.

This may take a while. But I'm not entirely sure it's a bad
idea. We're carrying a great deal of cruft in the typo codebase where
it turns out that we've zigged before rails zagged.

My initial roadmap for this approach is looking like:

* Strip out everything but the basic blog display.
* Think about URL design for everything but permalinks, ideally moving
  to a RESTful structure. The current /articles tree doesn't really
  play well with the resourceful approach, but that's fine - it's a
  useful archive structure when you're looking at the blog as a blog.

  Currently I'm thinking in terms of resources like:

  /entries  => Articles treated as Resources
  /feedback => conflating comments and trackbacks, useful for spam
  /sessions => RESTful authentication
  /rules    => Spam policy

  But I expect this to be a process of discovery.

* Add comments + Akismet based spam checking
* Add RESTful authentication.
* Add article/page posting

My thinking is that most features should go back in quite quickly and
we'll end up with a rather more robust application that gets to hand
more stuff off to Rails than we're currently doing. We're more and
more out of step with the framework and that's causing us pain.

Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>