[typo] Gah! Sodding bloody typo!

mathew meta at pobox.com
Mon Oct 30 12:28:19 EST 2006

On 10/29/06, Alastair Rankine <arsptr at internode.on.net> wrote:
> IMHO confirmation boxes are almost always the wrong answer to a given
> usability problem.

Yes, and there are some fairly obvious usability problems with the
interface in 4.0.

When I go to the Feedback area, "Delete checked items" and "Confirm
classification of checked items" are right next to each other.

My preference would be to have two columns of radio buttons instead of
one column of checkboxes. Color one column red for the spam, and the
other one green for the ham, and label the buttons too for
accessibility reasons. (Green eggs and ham?)  Once you've checked one
or more controls, a single "Apply manual classifications" button would
process all of them.

With that interface, I can go through the comments top to bottom in a
single pass, click one button, and be done. Furthermore, the most
damage you can do with a single mistaken click is flag one comment
incorrectly, and that can only happen if you don't notice the mistake
until you push the "apply" button.

The "things you can do" links could then be replaced with as "Mark
suspected spam as spam" and "Mark suspected ham as ham". So if the
classification engine works, you can click those two links then hit
the button to apply the suspected classifications as-is.

In fact, you could consider just making the radio buttons for
non-manually-classified items default to the auto classification, and
get rid of the "things you can do" section entirely. So then you're
down to 1 button and 2 columns of radio buttons, pretty idiot-proof I

Is this suggestion clear, or would it help if I drew a mockup?