[typo] Gah! Sodding bloody typo!

Alastair Rankine arsptr at internode.on.net
Sun Oct 29 19:30:15 EST 2006

On 29/10/2006, at 9:21 AM, Piers Cawley wrote:

> So, for the second time I've managed to zap a bunch of perfectly valid
> comments in the feedback pane.
>
> For my next programming trick, I shall be throwing up a confirmation
> box if you try and delete any ham. Watch the trunk!

IMHO confirmation boxes are almost always the wrong answer to a given
usability problem. In general you almost always end up training the
users to automatically click the confirmation box in addition to the
destructive action. In this case though I guess that deleting ham is
not a very common operation so that the training effect will be
minimal. Still, are there alternatives available?

I am assuming that you were deleting ham that was selected using the
select all function, but the first screenful of comments were all
spam? Is that right? Or is there some other scenario?

An alternative in this case might be to have a Select All / Select
Spam / Select Suspected Ham buttons, which would select only the
appropriate comments on the current page. Perhaps also a Delete All
Spam button which would operate independently of the currently-
selected comments?