[typo] Usage questions

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Fri Oct 27 07:53:56 EDT 2006

Trejkaz <trejkaz at trypticon.org> writes:

> On Friday 27 October 2006 05:48, Piers Cawley wrote:
>> Is anyone using:
>>
>>   * Email notification
>>   * Jabber notification
>
> I use Jabber notification but frankly the existing code is so broken that I
> completely gutted mine and replaced it with my own code.

Heh. My feeling as well.

Right now, I'm investigating instance caching using cached_model
(nice, but somewhat limited, easy to use without memcached) or
acts_as_cached (also nice, somewhat more flexible, but has memcached
assumptions baked in fairly deep). From my initial investigations, it
looks like instance caching can save a fair amount of roundtripping to
the databas. For instance, using cached_model on just the Blog
object, with an in process memory cache that gets wiped every query,
eliminated 7 queries from the front page of a test blog with only 3
articles in it. Some judicious use of acts_as_as_cacheable for caching
associations (*carefully*) has the potential to save even more I
think...

Once I've done that, I shall mostly likely be removing Jabber
notifications completely and (probably) simplifying mail notifications
quite a bit too. Then I'll see about readding Jabber stuff using
xmpp.rb or whatever it's called and building a decent test suite for
notifications in the process.

It looks like Edge rails is pushing some *lovely* stuff down the pipe
by the way. I shall want to roll the edgy changes I've been making on
the experimental branch into the main line as soon as we've decided
what 4.1 is going to be and have released it. Probably Typo + instance
caching + slimmed down notifications at a minimum, but I'm open to
other suggestions.

--
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>
http://www.bofh.org.uk/