[typo] Spam control again

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Thu Oct 19 12:57:07 EDT 2006

Josh Susser <josh at hasmanythrough.com> writes:

> On Oct 19, 2006, at 4:34 AM, Piers Cawley wrote:
>> Would anyone be awfully upset if I removed the DNS blacklist based
>> spam checking for the time being? I want to try and pluginize the
>> various spam detectors so that it's easier to configure the sort of
>> thing you want (and probably to configure the default published state,
>> etc).
>
> I'd say don't break what's working until you have a replacement that
> works at least as well.  That's what SVN branches are for.
>
>> The problem I have with the RBL stuff is that DNS lookups can take an
>> age, and we're really not remotely threadsafe at this point, so it's
>> not something that can really be backgrounded that effectively.
>
> Have you looked into using BackgrounDRb to do run the long tasks?

The problem with that is that hosting companies are generally not
overly keen on long running processes that *aren't* fcgi processes. At
least, mine isn't and, as I'm sure you all realise, that's what's
important.

I suppose one approach is to trigger spam classification as an admin
action and just any new messages into an authorization queue.

> You could easily run a worker to do the DNS lookup and complete the
> posting in a separate process.  That might be good to incorporate
> into the Akismet check too, since that can take a long time as well.
>
>> Once I've got the plugin approach sorted, it shouldn't be too hard to
>> add RBL checking back in or to write a *spit* CAPTCHA system.
>
> KittenAuth!  http://www.kittenauth.com/

Evil!

--
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>