[typo] Spam control again

Josh Susser josh at hasmanythrough.com
Thu Oct 19 12:13:33 EDT 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 4:34 AM, Piers Cawley wrote:
> Would anyone be awfully upset if I removed the DNS blacklist based
> spam checking for the time being? I want to try and pluginize the
> various spam detectors so that it's easier to configure the sort of
> thing you want (and probably to configure the default published state,
> etc).

I'd say don't break what's working until you have a replacement that
works at least as well.  That's what SVN branches are for.

> The problem I have with the RBL stuff is that DNS lookups can take an
> age, and we're really not remotely threadsafe at this point, so it's
> not something that can really be backgrounded that effectively.

Have you looked into using BackgrounDRb to do run the long tasks?
You could easily run a worker to do the DNS lookup and complete the
posting in a separate process.  That might be good to incorporate
into the Akismet check too, since that can take a long time as well.

KittenAuth!  http://www.kittenauth.com/

--
Josh Susser
http://blog.hasmanythrough.com