[typo] Follow-up :: Problems installing Typo 4.0.3 on Dreamhost

Anton J Aylward aja at si.on.ca
Fri Oct 6 17:11:40 EDT 2006

I got Typo running, though I still have a few problems.

Things had moved on from the state of affairs of Aiden Bordner's blog.
As noted elsewhere in this list, the main branch became unstable ... and
other things.

I downloaded and used as a baseline the 4.0.3 taz file from RubyForge and
installed that.  Having experimented with this on my home machine I found
that I needed Ruby 1.8.4 to run it and Dreamhost only had 1.8.2.  Never
mind, I just compiled my own version of 1.8.4 and put it in ~/bin and ~/lib
and updated $PATH.

As Peter says, 'rake' was a disaster, so I created the db from shell.

I played around with some themes and it works ... mostly.

Some problems remain.

The first is that I keep getting the 500 error message (see .htaccess)
"<h2>Application error</h2>Typo failed to start properly".  Sometimes a
refresh fixes that, sometimes not.  I've not found anything in the
typo/rails log -  except this in the apache logs

[Fri Oct 06 12:22:47 2006] [error] [client 38.99.203.110] FastCGI: comm with
(dynamic) server "~/typo/public/dispatch.fcgi" aborted: (first read) idle
timeout (120 sec)
[Fri Oct 06 12:22:47 2006] [error] [client 38.99.203.110] FastCGI:
incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "~/typo/public/dispatch.fcgi"

The second problem is abysmally poor performance.
It can take anywhere from 30 seconds to to two minutes for a simple page to
load.   Repeated re-loads that make use of the image cache on firefox come
out about 15 seconds if I strip out all the Amazon/Google stuff.  Sometimes
it may take 2-3 minutes before that 500 message.
Or perhaps it locks up in that response with the fcgi not starting up

By comparison, I set up a similar site using Dreamhosts' "one click install"
of WordPress.  Pages there take between 3 and 5 seconds to load.  And that's
without a persistent FCGI handler.  Is PHP really that much faster?

So I installed the "Load Time Analyzer" in firefox and looked what was
happening.  The 'waiting for' for the Typo to do its work is much much longer.

Yes I am running 'production' so things should be faster, eh?

Yes there is stuff in ~/typo/tmp/cache - but the reloads don't go any
faster!  The graph of the reload analysis shows that the wait time for typo
at Dreamhost still predominates.

I've commented out the ':active_record_store' session store in
'config/environment.rb' - I understand that this now defaults to the file
system.  However I don't see anything storing sessions in ~/typo/tmp/session
or /tmp/

Rake is a disaster.  As noted, the /usr/bin/rake takes forever to run.
It then fails because its not using Ruby 1.8.4 !!
However if I use the version of rake that does -- ~/bin/rake -- then it
can't find some libraries:

$ rake
~/bin/rake:9:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)
        from ~/bin/rake:9

I don't feel battling to install my local copy of rubygems.

So, there's probably a lot I don't know about ruby and rails in the above.
If anyone can advise me I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

--
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a