[typo] Typo spam filtering -- does any of it work?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Oct 2 13:17:38 EDT 2006

On 9/30/06, Fraser Campbell <fraser at georgetown.wehave.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 23 September 2006 10:57, mathew wrote:
>
> > 1. I have max URLs set to 3, yet I just got spam that had well over 100
> > URLs in.
> >
> > 2. I have "phentermine" as a blacklist string, but... yes, hundreds of
> > occurrences of that string in spam.
> >
> > I'm going to turn on Akismet, because it seems like none of typo's
> > built-in spam protection code actually works. Might as well just rip
> > it out.
>
> I'm not running the latest typo but I have no problems with spam.  What did
> the trick for me was to disable comments after 10 days.  Prior to enabling
> that I had dozens of spam posts per day, now it's one every few weeks (if
> that).
>
> Disabling comments after a certain time period certainly isn't the most
> elegant solution but at least for now it seems to work very well.
>
> My guess is that one of those image generators where user has to confirm
> characters that are encoded in image would be the ultimate solution (does
> typo 4 have that?).

I *really* hate CAPTCHAs (the character-in-image things that you're
talking about).  They're a pain for *me* to solve half of the time,
and they're an accessibility nightmare.  Akismet has been flawless for
me lately.

One thing the original poster may wish to check--all of Typo's current
spam filters still allow spam to be submitted, but if the comment
fails the spam check then it's dropped into the DB flagged as spam and
it's not displayed.  Look at the feedback tab in the admin UI to
filter things.

Scott

Scott