[typo] Trac and finding fixes thereon

Timothy Freund tim at digital-achievement.com
Sun Nov 5 17:45:36 EST 2006

I have done a little bit of investigation -- here's the situation as
relayed to us by David Gibbons at Planet Argon:

 > Within the last few weeks it was up, we were seeing cpu usage
 > and memory usage skyrocket, IT'd peg the cpu at 100%, peg memory
 > usage at 2 gigs.  Disabling it was the only way we could keep
 > the server usable for the other people on it.  This happens with
 > trac via mod_python, cgi, and tracd.

... and in a later message he said ...

 > ...it seems programmatic in nature as it takes a very short period
 > of time for it to start blowing out our resources.  I didn't
 > find anything conclusive in my testing, except that it occurs
 > under cgi, mod_python as well as tracd.

Just to complete the picture, David said this is what our installation
looks like:

Trac .10 from subversion
Sqlite 3
Akismet for spam protection

This weekend I sent the following back to David, Scott, and Kevin:

 > I was digging through Trac's mail list, and I found references to
 > two tickets that might be similar to our problem:
 > http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/3779
 > http://trac.edgewall.org/changeset/4127
 > So if one of our attacking spambots posted changes to a page
 > that triggered either of these bugs, we would see the CPU
 > spike whenever someone viewed that page.  None of the messages
 > on the list mention excessive memory usage, so perhaps these
 > bugs aren't the same as what we are seeing.
 > These changes have been rolled into branches/0.10-stable of Trac.

So we basically need someone with both time and a shell account on the
machine to test fixes for our Trac instance.  Sprewell and I have some
time, but no shell account.

Anyone with experience fixing broken Trac installations, now would be a
great time to offer up any advice gained from the experience.  :-)

Best regards,