[typo] What's your story?

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Fri Mar 31 16:14:56 EST 2006

I've justed added a new 'UserStory' ticket type in the typo trac. We
want your stories of how you want typo to behave. Keep 'em short and
pithy and name them well.

A User Story is a couple of paragraphs or so describing some desired
behaviour of Typo, ideally headed by a descriptive title. In 'heavy'
development circles they call 'em Use Cases and fence 'em in with an
ungodly amount of ceremony. But we're Agile, dammit, so we call them
Stories and have done with it!

How to write your stories

1. Think about something you want to do with typo, or something that
   typo could do in a better way.
2. Describe how it should be done.
3. Give it a good title.
4. Stick it on the trac.

A few writing guidelines:

* Don't worry about implementation, that comes later. How should it
  work in a perfect world?
* Try and keep it short. If it's big, break it down into smaller
  stories, each describing a simple interaction.
  * If they're not particularly clear by themselves, you can link them together by
    adding a context section with a pointer to the preceding story and
    (possibly) a 'leads to' section that points to the next stage(s).
  * In extreme cases, write your story as wiki pages and link to them from
    a UserStory ticket.
* Don't worry about justifying your story in the story itself; add a
  comment to your ticket with any justification you think is
  necessary.
* Enjoy yourself.

I'm looking for stories on comment and trackback spam prevention,
authoring workflow, theming, sidebar writing. Anything Typo related
really.

Knock yourselves out.

--
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>