[typo] Mysql Collation Questions

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Fri Mar 31 09:28:59 EST 2006

To the best of my knowedge, we aren't explicitly setting any characterset or language settings.  Look at db/schema.mysql.sql.  So, I'd guessthat your Mysql is defaulting to Swedish for some reason.  I don'tknow enough about Swedish to know if its collation settings aredifferent then English's in any meaningful way.  I know that Dutch isdifferent (ij), but I'm lost WRT most other European languages.

Scott
On 3/30/06, Jason Froderman <froderman at gmail.com> wrote:> I've noticed that the schema in typo has collation of: latin1_swedish_ci>> I don't know much about collation except for the ability to sort> differently by specifying "COLLATE"...>> Is there any reason (or reason against) changing the collation from> swedish to general?  What's the usual collation chosen for the United> States or the UK?>> If it's a worthy enough idea of changing, is there an easy way to> change collation recursively...I know you can apply a collation change> to a db, table, and then table fields...doing all that separately would> take a lot of work.>> Thanks for the info,> Jason>> _______________________________________________> Typo-list mailing list> Typo-list at rubyforge.org> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/typo-list>