[typo] Mysql Collation Questions

Jason Froderman froderman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 21:18:54 EST 2006

I've noticed that the schema in typo has collation of: latin1_swedish_ci

I don't know much about collation except for the ability to sort
differently by specifying "COLLATE"...

Is there any reason (or reason against) changing the collation from
swedish to general?  What's the usual collation chosen for the United
States or the UK?

If it's a worthy enough idea of changing, is there an easy way to
change collation recursively...I know you can apply a collation change
to a db, table, and then table fields...doing all that separately would
take a lot of work.

Thanks for the info,
Jason