[typo] Recent Multi-Blog update Breaks

Sean Mountcastle smountcastle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 09:48:31 EST 2006

Piers,

I just wanted to say thank you for all of the work you've done on Typo
-- including the initial multi-blog support.  For my personal blog,
multi-blog support is of no use to me, but I believe that the
refactoring taking place will make Typo faster in the long run (and I
have ideas for other projects where multi-blog support would be
useful).

It seems like there's been a bit of a backlash on the mailing list
about multiblog support now that its in trunk -- hopefully you'll not
be discouraged, as I believe there are many members of this mailing
list looking forward to multiblog support (looking back through the
number of times its been asked about).

I am curious if you have a roadmap for this feature?  Some questions I
had were as follows:
- How will Typo route to the different blogs?  Using subdomain as blog
key? Modifying routes.rb with special URLs?
- I like what you've done with the Settings/Configuration but
searching through the set of blogs for one with a particular blog_name
for example might not be optimal ... perhaps the blog_name can be
promoted to its own field in the blogs table?
- Will you be adding blog_id to several of the other tables (such as
blacklist_patterns, categories, contents, resources, sidebars, tags,
text_filters and users)?
- Are there pieces of this work that we (I) can help out with?
Perhaps taking a model/controller and the associated tests to work on?

Thanks again,
Sean