[typo] Recent Multi-Blog update Breaks

Gary Shewan gpsnospam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 06:48:43 EST 2006

On 19 Mar 2006, at 18:47, Piers Cawley wrote:
> One migration broke because the Postgres database adaptor doesn't work
> well when you add a table that only has an id column. Not something I
> could really anticipate when I wrote the patch. Thankfully the
> migrations fail to safety with no information lost and as soon as
> someone who'd tried the migration while running postgres popped up
> with details of what was going wrong it was fixed very quickly.
> The broken aggregation sidebars were breaking because of something
> else entirely, which took a little longer to track down. Again, once
> we had the bug reports in, it wasn't hard to fix.
> Why did they get fixed so quickly? Because the changes went on the
> trunk and our intrepid bleading edge users tripped over the bugs and
> reported them so we could fix them.
> Typo sidebars are currently almost entirely untested and bordering on
> the (un|de)testable. Which tends to mean we make changes, push them
> onto the trunk and hope there aren't any bug reports. We're not happy
> about this situation, and rest assured we're working on it.
> It's free software, it *has* to be fun for developers to work on or it
> simply won't get developed.
> There are 8 open tickets on the 4.0 milestone, one of which is
> multiblog support; it's been there for ages. The others are:
> Actually, once Scott's got #725 nailed (and he's bullish about it) we
> should be able to start releasing some 'pre4.0' distributions. The
> current sketchy plan is that these will get pushed out weekly or
> monthly until at least 4.0
> There will always be the bleading edge, and we'll always be grateful
> for the people who stay on it and report back when they get cut by
> it.
> We're trying to make it less likely that they'll get badly cut (for
> instance, migrations 38 and 39 were the two most robust migrations
> I've ever written. Although there was a problem with Postgres, the
> transactions got unwound properly and nobody (except me when I was
> writing them) had to recover anything by hand -- not something we've
> been able to say for every migration in the past), but we can't
> guarantee it. I can, however, assure that nothing goes into the trunk
> if we think it doesn't work.
> Hopefully the forthcoming pre4.0 series will let people get a good
> deal nearer to the edge without hurting themselves.

Thanks for that Piers, it's appreciated because you didn't have to
outline all that at all.  Much better attitude than some development
communities where any questions are met with "It's open source, we
give our time for free, deal with it or disappear"

I understand that it needs to be fun, and I've never met a developer
that really enjoys a good bug hunt over new functionality ... think
I'd have a heart attack if I did ;)  There is a growing interest in
Typo, but until there is a 4.0 release I never really recommend it to
anyone unless they feel confident about it.  Everybody I know who
isn't too technically minded - and has tried Typo - has pulled their
hair out in frustration.  I've been bitten hard a couple of times
with migrations, but that isn't a problem for me because I know what
working on the edge of trunk means.  I still have just over a
thousand legacy blog comments sitting in an sql file that I have to
reinclude because they got lost on one migration.  But that's what I
get if I only check 99% of everything after a trunk migration :)

I like the Typo system, I think you fellas are doing great work.
Just that a few of us went "Woah!" when we thought we saw a large bit
of new functionality (that not all users would use) get wedged in
just after talk of an imminent point release.  After all the first
line in Trac is "Typo is a lean engine..." ;)

Keep it fun, but also take some pride in the fact that people are
using it and as the number of users grow it speaks volumes about your