[typo] Recent Multi-Blog update Breaks

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Sat Mar 18 15:36:51 EST 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 2:22 AM, Gary Shewan wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2006, at 02:34, Kevin Ballard wrote:
>
>> Doing such would kill the Typo project. Maintaining two parallel
>> branches like that would be an absolute nightmare for maintenance,
>> and either one branch would wither and die or both would.
>>
>> On Mar 17, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Gary Shewan wrote:
>>
>>> Sigh, well that's me not upgrading in trunk.  Multi blog support is
>>> bloat for those of us running Typo on single sites.  I think it's a
>>> bad move to keep this in trunk.  If you want me to throw a penny in
>>> I'd say split it now.  The initial attraction of Typo because it was
>>> lean.  Why keep multi blog in trunk when not everyone wants it?
>>> It's
>>> screaming out for a separate branch.
>
> That's nonsense.  Since when has adding multiblog support to a
> blogging engine killed the project?  You're scare-mongering and that
> doesn't help.

You've taken what I said and interpreted it completely opposite to
the meaning. I didn't say adding multiblog support would kill the
project. I said trying to maintain two branches in parallel
development, one as single-blog and one as multi-blog, would either
kill a branch or kill the entire project (parallel development
meaning any features/bugfixes written for one branch would, if
applicable, have to be re-written for the other branch as well). The
other option would be for someone else to start maintaining one of
the branches and for it to basically become a fork. But that's
certainly not desirable either.

And see Piers's post for why Gary's original assertion is wrong.

--
Kevin Ballard
kevin at sb.org
http://kevin.sb.org