[typo] Recent Multi-Blog update Breaks

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Sat Mar 18 07:03:43 EST 2006

Gary Shewan <gpsnospam at gmail.com> writes:
> On 17 Mar 2006, at 16:19, Piers Cawley wrote:
>> "Kevin Kubasik" <kevin at kubasik.net> writes:
>>> Just a note, I found that when attempting to update to the
>>> latestTrunk, rev 915 breaks (it can't seem to add the new blogs
>>> tablecorrectly) 914 is good though. It seems to me that a multiblog
>>> branchshould be handled that way, in its own branch, not in the
>>> trunk(although the comment seems to imply that it is being done in
>>> abranch, maybe im just SVN illiterate)
>> It's staying in the trunk -- the comment about the branch was from my
>> local SVK based repository which I'd not edited out.
>> What errors were you getting when you tried to run the migrations?
>> Could you send me a the relevant log section?
>> --
>> Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>
>> http://www.bofh.org.uk/
> Sigh, well that's me not upgrading in trunk.  Multi blog support is
> bloat for those of us running Typo on single sites.  I think it's a
> bad move to keep this in trunk.  If you want me to throw a penny in
> I'd say split it now.  The initial attraction of Typo because it was
> lean.  Why keep multi blog in trunk when not everyone wants it?  It's
> screaming out for a separate branch.
> God I hate bloat.

Have you even read the patch?

The reason that the current changes have gone into the trunk is
because they're paving the way to *removing* bloat. In fact, they have
already done so by eliminating the settings table and a bunch of
structural code to manage it. You could think of r914 as a refactoring
of the config object if you prefer.

I have no desire to run multiple typo blogs on my site, but a blog
object makes a lot of things that I do want to do a good deal easier
to manage. I have every intention of making it so that the single blog
case is at least as efficient as the (so far hypothetical) multiblog
case, but I also need somewhere to stash a bunch of structural
currently implemented in controllers that really doesn't belong
there. That place is the blog object.

I've not benchmarked it, but I'm willing to be that the new blog
object is at least as efficient as the old Configuration and Setting

Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>