[typo] Typo is getting poor!

Gary Shewan gpsnospam at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 15:42:50 EDT 2006

I was originally attracted to Typo because it was lean ... supermodel
lean and it was built to work with a blog editor.  Perfect in my
book.  No backend bloat.  It also used Rails which was an interesting
framework to learn.  It's still only around a year old though and to
be honest it's not the best thing since sliced bread and I don't
understand that opinion.  It does exactly the same as every other
blog system - in fact it's a lot less stable and I'd count something
like Textpattern far more superior.  If you want something stable
with lots of lovely looking themes then Typo isn't the best choice.
It's probably a good idea to look elsewhere.  Typo was originally
written while waiting for a meeting to start and less than a handful
of developers have got it to where it is at the moment.  You can't
compare that history against some of the other more established engines.

I use it to play with Rails.  I know it's unstable sometimes and I
accept that because I live on trunk for Typo and Rails.

Hmmm ... that's probably the worst attitude to have because I have a
few thousand posts to my blog.

4.0 was only waiting for a better installation process from Scott.
There's not going to be anything very different from trunk in a point
release (unless I'm very mistaken).  A lot of the problems can be
attributed to host set-ups and the Rails version you are working
from.  I don't have very high expectations for 4.0 solving every
problem ... I think some people do though.

There might be disappointment.

Having thought about it though ... typosphere is becoming a real joke
as a frontend to the Typo world.  Mebbe some more time should be
spent hanging around typoforum...

Gary