[typo] Themes site

Timothy Freund tim at digital-achievement.com
Thu Jun 15 00:52:49 EDT 2006

Thanks to those of you that viewed my themes today.  I should really set
up Trac using something other than plain old CGI so it doesn't take such
a long time to load the pages.  :-)

I'm not sure what versions of Typo my themes work with, but it sounds
like we'll find out soon.  :-)

I like the idea of one subversion repository for multiple themes, and I
think we can easily manage having one repository for multiple versions
of Typo as well.  We can set up the theme repository just like the
actual Typo repository, and then themes will show up where they behave
correctly.

As an example:

/trunk/a_theme
/trunk/b_theme
/tags/release_1_6_7/a_theme
/tags/release_2_6_0/a_theme
/tags/release_2_6_0/b_theme

So in the above example, a_theme and b_theme work with Typo trunk and
the 2.6.0 release.  We see that b_theme is pretty new, and there is no
version of it that works in Typo 1.6.7.

And that's where I can learn about twill to do some automated theme
testing.  Each night that a commit is made to Typo we can have a process
that updates to Typo trunk and automatically cycles through each of the
themes in the theme repository trunk checking to make sure that there
are no horribly obvious errors.

We can then use the repository, each theme's about.markdown file, and an
automatically captured screen shot as the basis for a self sustaining
theme site.

I'll be happy to shift the focus of my existing subversion/Trac instance
from my own personal themes to being more oriented as a central
subversion repository for anyone who wants to use subversion for their
themes without going through the hassle of setting up subversion themselves.

How does that sound to you, Uzair?  Is this what you had in mind when
you mentioned an SVN repository for themes?

Is there anything glaring that we haven't covered?  If there is no
disagreement then I'll get the Trac sped up and create the appropriate
tags/branches in my repository to support the various Typo versions.
Other next steps?

I'm running 5 Typo instances on my server now, so I'm certainly eager to
see it flourish.

Thanks,

Tim

phil wrote:

> [...]
>
> I have mirrored all of the themes from the contest site (that weren't dead links) and am putting together a crude navigation once I weed out all the lost themes then I'll share them here, and if it's cool, move them to your svn server.  I just didn't want to do much until they Typo Theme folks did, I neither want to reinvent the wheel *or* step on toes, but I see a need and want to give back, plus after 5 months I think the time to move is upon us.  Let's get svn up with either sep repositories for 2.6.0 / trunk / 4.0.0 or paths, this way the ones working in trunk should migrate to 4.0.0 right when or after it comes out, giving folks trying out typo a simple way to get new themes.  Heck, if they weren't distributed with Typo we could have a script with 4.0.0 (within the admin GUI would be sweet) that says, "Update all themes" which would issue a svn checkout command with a tag just for 4.0.0 themes and checkout new themes and update the 'old' ones in one fell swoop!  Now th
at
>  'd add value.
>
> Comments?  I feel like I've either gotten the ball rolling, or rocking at least, but kicking it enough times.

>>I think it would be quite cool to set up a constant integration server
>>like BuildBot or DamageControl that would spin through and do a test on
>>all of the themes each time a commit is made to Typo.  Something like:
>>   1. Typo commit happens
>>   2. Constant Integration server notices
>>   3. Local Typo repository is updated, all local themes from various
>>SVN repositories are updated
>>   4. CI Server starts Typo
>>   5. CI Server runs a Twill script or something similar to cycle
>>through and make sure that themes are still working.
>>
>>The test wouldn't be perfect, I'm sure, but it'd certainly catch 500
>>Internal Server errors.
>>
>>I know it would be possible, but would it be helpful?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Tim
>>

>>Syed Uzair Aqeel wrote:
>>
>>>How about an SVN repository for themes? I can see how the overhead of
>>>maintaining them and their sheer size/number makes them poor candidates
>>
>>for
>>
>>>inclusion with Typo itself, but just having a central repository where
>>
>>we
>>
>>>can store themes (with the authors' approval of course) would help keep
>>
>>them
>>
>>>up-to-date. In the case of themes that are no longer being actively
>>>maintained by the authors, users could commit patches so that the
>>
>>redundancy
>>
>>>of each user patching their local install by hand is removed.
>>>
>>>If people think this is something worth doing, I'm happy to volunteer

Timothy Freund