[typo] Heavy RAM usage? Instability?

Stephen Bannasch stephen at deanbrook.org
Mon Jan 23 13:32:24 EST 2006

>Hi, Scott,
>
>Scott Laird wrote:
>
> >1.  Is the memory usage fairly constant, or is it growing?  There was
> >a memory leak in Rails 0.14.2 (I think) that caused Typo to grow
> >without bound; that leak has been fixed, but there could be other leaks.
> >2.  How much memory is Typo using.  I keep hearing numbers like
> >"lots", but I've only seen one set of numbers so far.
> >

>My own Typo installation is about 50 MB. Very low traffic.  It starts
>off at around 30 MB (like my other Rails apps) and then after the first
>page load goes to 50 MB (unlike other RoR apps, which tend to stay
>around 30 MB unless something unusual is going on). The memory usage on
>my installation of Typo doesn't grow much, although that could be
>because of low volume (I've tested with ab, too, but that doesn't prove
>much). It has gone up 2MB since yesterday, when it was steady around 50 MB.

According to Julik (a textdrive sysadmin) his experience is that most rails apps take between 20-70MB -- 50MB is right in the middle of this range. Elsewhere in the posting linked below he talks about minimizing the number of fcgi listeners.

http://weblog.textdrive.com/article/175/rails-optimizing-resource-usage

"A Rails application usually consumes anywhere from 20 to 50-70 Mb per FastCGI dispatcher. If a Rails application is tuned properly this amount should stabilize after about 20 requests and stay the same. "

--

-- Stephen Bannasch, stephen at deanbrook dot org