[typo] Heavy RAM usage? Instability?

Justus Pendleton justus at ryoohki.net
Sat Jan 21 10:31:39 EST 2006

On 2006-01-21, jennyw <jennyw at dangerousideas.com> wrote:
> which is a thread on the TxD forums where three of the admins say how
> much they dislike Typo, with Jason posting a list of heavy memory users
> and showing that Typo seems to be the top culprit most times.

Typo is the only ruby app I use and the only Rails app I use. I have no
basis to judge which of the three is the real culprit -- ruby, rails, or
typo -- but typo is a huge resource drain. And it has gotten much huger.
I have two instances of typo. One a relatively current SVNish install
that I use. That has 3 instances of ruby each using 43MB of virtual
memory. A friend is using an older version (2.4? 2.5?) and that one is
using 23MB of virtual memory.

So my instance of typo is twice the memory hog of his. And his instance
of typo is three times the memory hog of the next largest app on the
system (dccifd).

IMHO it makes typo not so great for use in most hosting environments
because you have to pay more to have the resources to run it. I was
running out of memory, which resulted in processes randomly dying.

Justus