[typo] Page caching and dynamic sidebars

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Tue Jan 17 13:12:09 EST 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Jared Luxenberg wrote:

> I just developed a sidebar plugin that needs to be updated every
> 5min or
> so.  But the problem is, with page caching on it only gets updated
> when
> I post an article or someone posts a comment.  I'm having the same
> problem with the audioscrobbler plugin.  I looked in the mailing list
> archives and saw that some people were working on this problem, but I
> couldn't find a solution.
>
> Should I just wait for fragment caching to be implemented?  Is
> there any
> way I can help with that (I'm an okay Rails programmer)?  Or is
> there a
> quick and dirty short term fix I can use? (besides turning off
> caching)
> It seems like this is kinda a big problem, because the Audioscrobbler
> plugin suffers from it too and it is included in the standard Typo
> distribution.

I have fragment caching code written and lightly tested.  I still
need to add a good way for pages to set their lifetime, but that
shouldn't take very long.  Right now, everything uses a hard timeout
of 10 seconds--great for testing, not so useful in reality.  Give me
a day or so.

The bigger issue is wether we want to make this the default in Typo
or not.

Scott