[typo] pings (xml rpc), trackbacks and patch 526

Chris Roos chris at seagul.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 07:53:49 EST 2006

I've recently become interested in pinging aggregators (technorati et
al) when content is updated.

I'm aware of the 'auto-ping' section in the admin interface and always
assumed that this was happily pinging the aggregators as new articles
were added...

However, as the original post in patch 526[1] states, this is not the case.

Basically, the method used (Ping#ping) is sending trackbacks not pings.

As per the last comment added to that ticket, I don't think the patch is
correct as it actually replaces the trackback functionality rather than
add's ping to it.

I'm planning to take a look this weekend at something more fully fleshed
but would appreciate any comments (on this mail or comments on the
ticket), especially if I'm not making any sense (not unlikely)..

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://typo.leetsoft.com/trac/ticket/526