[typo] pings (xml rpc), trackbacks and patch 526

Chris Roos chris at seagul.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 07:53:49 EST 2006

I've recently become interested in pinging aggregators (technorati et
al) when content is updated.

I'm aware of the 'auto-ping' section in the admin interface and always
assumed that this was happily pinging the aggregators as new articles
were added...

However, as the original post in patch 526[1] states, this is not the case.

Basically, the method used (Ping#ping) is sending trackbacks not pings.

As per the last comment added to that ticket, I don't think the patch is
correct as it actually replaces the trackback functionality rather than
add's ping to it.

I'm planning to take a look this weekend at something more fully fleshed
but would appreciate any comments (on this mail or comments on the
ticket), especially if I'm not making any sense (not unlikely)..

[1] http://typo.leetsoft.com/trac/ticket/526