[typo] Some basic SEO for typo blogs

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Wed Dec 6 02:27:22 EST 2006

Kevin Ballard <kevin at sb.org> writes:

> What if we're not looking at a single Content object on the page?
> Like, say, the index? Or search results? Then we don't have a single
> Content object for @page that we can call html_title on.

D'oh! Silly me. However:

class Blog
  def decorate_title(title_string)
    if title_string.blank?
      blog_name
    else
      title_prefix + title_string + title_suffix
    end
  end
end

module ArticlesHelper
  def page_title
    if @page_title
      h this_blog.decorate_title(@page_title)
    elsif @page
      h @page.html_title
    else
      'Typo'
    end
  end
end

with other stuff implemented pretty much as written in the earlier
post. The main point is to hide the details of *how* we know whether
to append or prepend the blog name. I had an idea last night about how
to package Themes as plugins, which should also make it relatively
simple to add theme specific helper methods a the same time. At least,
it seemed simple until I tried to sketch it here; there's a little
wrinkle that needs a little more thought. I shall get back to you.

--
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>
http://www.bofh.org.uk/