[typo] Some basic SEO for typo blogs

John Athayde bobo at meticulous.com
Tue Dec 5 11:49:01 EST 2006

In my experience, if you basically follow the web accessibility
initiative ( http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/ ), you'll
help your site do better on the code side. Google bot is a blind
browser. So start with level 1 (roughly the same as section 508
compliance). You can test for 508 here:

http://bobby.watchfire.com

or

http://www.contentquality.com/Default.asp

Also, at the end of the day, the best thing you can do for SEO is
create great content that gets people linking to certain articles
with keyword linked text. Of course, this could change tomorrow with
an algorithm update.

Semantic markup and good page structure and error free valid xhtml/
css markup are far more important than what you stuff in your
keywords tag.

On Dec 5, 2006, at 9:31 AM, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> Do either of these things actually *work* for SEO? Usually the
> conventional wisdom about SEO is wrong, and the stuff that goes
> into the head tag is getting less and less important. IIRC it seems
> the best thing to do is simply have valid HTML markup, with proper
> tag hierarchy (i.e. header tags followed by contents).
>
> If "post - blog" is better than "blog - post", why do so many sites
> use the latter?
>
> And putting all categories and archives into the header seems a bit
> excessive - that would be adding 20 lines to my header tag, and
> again, does it actually *do* anything?
>
> On Dec 5, 2006, at 4:01 AM, Frederic de Villamil wrote:
>
>> I was working on my typo blog yesterday evening and noticed 2 little
>> things that may help typo blogs to be better referenced
>>
>> 1/ in the <title></title> field, put the post title before the blog
>> title.
>>
>> You just need to replace the page_title function in app/helpers/
>> articles_helper.rb by
>>
>> def page_title
>>      if @page_title
>>        # this is where the page title prefix (string) should go
>>        @page_title + " - " +  (this_blog.title_prefix ? "#
>> {this_blog.blog_name || "Typo"}" : '')
>>      else
>>        this_blog.blog_name || "Typo"
>>      end
>>    end
>>
>> The second one is to add the categories and archives as links in the
>> header :
>>
>> <link rel="section" href="/articles/2006/12" title="December 2006" />
>> ... same for categories
>>
>> And I was too lazy to dive in the code yet.
>
> --
> Kevin Ballard
> http://kevin.sb.org
> kevin at sb.org
> http://www.tildesoft.com

John Athayde
bobo at meticulous.com

Meticulous | www.meticulous.com (work)
Honor by August | www.honorbyaugust.com (sound: rock band)
Rotoscope | www.rotoscope.com (sound: rock band)
Boboroshi & Kynz | www.boboroshiandkynz.com (sound: electronic)
Personal Weblog | www.boboroshi.com (play)

          - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
                        Reply of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the
Governor
                                  November 11, 1755