[typo] Liquefaction?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Tue Aug 22 14:04:48 EDT 2006

On 8/22/06, Frederic de Villamil <neuro at 7el.net> wrote:
> josh at hasmanythrough.com a écrit :
> > Piers Cawley wrote:
> >> What don't you like about it?
> >
> > Mainly that it's not ubiquitous. I don't want to get locked in. Liquid
> > seems pretty nifty for supporting user-contributed layouts and maintaining
> > security, but since I'm doing all the layouts myself I don't need to worry
> > about that.
> >

> Just thinking in term of having Typo spreading in the public, I think
> erb / rhtml will be easier to understand by the public, and we need to
> keep that solution if we want basic users to change their themes, don't we ?
>
> More, I think we need a bit more markup in the views (mostly in the way
> posts are displayed) to help web designers do their work, something like
> the CSS Zengarden extra divs here and there.
>
> I've been working on something like this lately, feeling stucked by the
> current theming possibilities, and thinking about a "Typo CSSZengarden"
> thing.

I've resisted small HTML tweaks in the past, even if they improved the
usability of our HTML, just because it wasn't worth forcing a zillion
themes to make minor changes.

Since we're breaking everything for 4.1 anyway, this would be a
*great* time to make structural improvements.  Perhaps we could even
go as far as to (gasp) standardize on a specific HTML structure, like
hAtom, so we're able to share CSS themes with other software.

Also, one of us needs to do the (small) amount of work needed to move
Typo themes into vendor/plugins, just so we can use Rails
plugin-management tools to install themes.  I can take care of this
later this week, unless Piers really wants to do it :-).

Scott