[typo] Slow spam checking makes Baby Jesus cry

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Mon Aug 21 17:21:58 EDT 2006

Which is what I've done on www.bofh.org.uk by emptying the RBL server list.

> I've never been a bit RBL fan, for the usual reasons--all RBL lists
> seem to eventually decend into filtering for spam politics more then
> spam itself--ISP X doesn't have a good abuse policy, so we're going to
> block all of their addresses to force a change.  I'd much rather block
> based on content then politics :-).

Nor me, for pretty much the same reasons.

But then, I've been thinking about spam checking in general and what
we're currently doing is almost an implementation of the Chain of
Responsibility, but it's statically configured. If my hunch is right,
Spam checking is yet another thing we can modularize and shove into a
vendor/plugins directory.

(Thus allowing those who want them to add captcha based 'protection'
to their blog).

The fun begins when you start to think at how this chain of
responsibility could be used to handle spam reporting. For instance,
it would be nice to have a spam check engine that extracts possible
blacklist/whitelist patterns from feedback and offers 'em up to the
user for consideration before passing on to the next item in the
chain.

--
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>
http://www.bofh.org.uk/