[typo] Gallery support

John Wang johncwang at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 14:43:40 EDT 2006

On 8/21/06, mathew <meta at pobox.com> wrote:

> Lars Roland wrote:
> >  - why is it that so many of you feel that
> > adding gallery functionality or categorized resource handlers will
> > bloat your blog ?, you can just chose not to use it -  typo already
> > have a ton of functionality that I do not use, still I appreciate
> > having the choice.
>
> People hosting on TextDrive don't appreciate it so much.

Is there a way to make the gallery a pluggable option so it's easy to load
for people that want it but not installed by default? Right now, a growing
number of sidebar plugins ship with Typo and, from what I've seen, the vast
majority of Typo installs don't use most of them. It seems that Typo needs a
way to have pluggable modules that don't ship with Typo. This type of
architecture would make the bloat argument a non-issue and possibly even
reduce the code by moving sidebars out of the core distribution.

Personally I like the idea of having a gallery capability in Typo b/c it
would be better integrated, e.g. you can apply the same category/tags to
your galleries and possible have them show up on category/tag pages. You
also wouldn't need a separate rails/mongrel|fastcgi instance compared to
running Typo+rgallery. rgallery looks interesting but for an integrated
solution it would probably need tags/categories and feeds. Even then, I'm
not sure what a recommended/baseline integration would look like, would
everyone just do their own?

Seems like making the gallery an optional add-on to Typo would satisfy both
camps: (a) those that want a gallery feature in Typo and (b) those that want
a Typo w/o the gallery. Is there an good way to do this?

--
John Wang
http://www.dev411.com/blog/