[typo] Gallery support

mathew meta at pobox.com
Mon Aug 21 14:27:06 EDT 2006

Lars Roland wrote:
> On 8/21/06, mathew <meta at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, anyone can go create an account on Flickr and use that. Takes a
>> minute or two to set up, and you get commenting on photos, tagging
>> photos, groups of photos, and so on. I kinda feel like if you can't do
>> at least as much as that, you might as well not bother. The bar has been
>> raised too high for simple solutions to be worth the bloat.
>>

> By that logic you could just as well open a account on blogger.com and
> drop typo all together

There are a couple of important differences.

The big one is that I've been banned from blog hosting services for what
I write, whereas I've never had any censorship problems over my photos.

The second is that photos I put on the web are downsized secondary
content; if the hosting goes bang, I upload them somewhere else from the
original files. They're just pretty things to look at, not statements of
belief or anything I really care about everyone being able to see.

If I was a photojournalist, on the other hand, I'd want my own photo
hosting. But I'd also want more than is being suggested for this typo
gallery functionality, so it would still be useless to me.

>  - why is it that so many of you feel that
> adding gallery functionality or categorized resource handlers will
> bloat your blog ?, you can just chose not to use it -  typo already
> have a ton of functionality that I do not use, still I appreciate
> having the choice.

People hosting on TextDrive don't appreciate it so much.

mathew