[typo] Gallery support

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Aug 21 11:47:58 EDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Lars Roland <lroland at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/21/06, mathew <meta at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well, anyone can go create an account on Flickr and use that. Takes a
> > minute or two to set up, and you get commenting on photos, tagging
> > photos, groups of photos, and so on. I kinda feel like if you can't do
> > at least as much as that, you might as well not bother. The bar has been
> > raised too high for simple solutions to be worth the bloat.
> By that logic you could just as well open a account on blogger.com and
> drop typo all together - why is it that so many of you feel that
> adding gallery functionality or categorized resource handlers will
> bloat your blog ?, you can just chose not to use it -  typo already
> have a ton of functionality that I do not use, still I appreciate
> having the choice.
> If you want to keep using flickr or some other photo service then by
> all means do that. I just do not consider a free flickr account the
> holy grail of photo blogging and the existence of flickr is not a
> argument for having gallery support in typo. It is a relevant blog
> technology, somebody volunteered for implementing it and you do to
> have to use it.

Yeah, but there's a simple difference between Blogger and Flickr:

  Blogger sucks.
  Flickr doesn't.

I have a blogger blog that I use for work, and I can't stand it.  I've
used four or five different blog platforms, either for testing or for
hosting a real blog, and I'm happiest with Typo.  Which isn't all that
surprising, considering how much code I've added to Typo.

On the other hand, Flickr works pretty well for me.  There are a few
things that I wish they could do, but I've been able to implement
everything that I really care about via their API.  Frankly, if I was
going to write my own gallery software, I'd probably have to start by
cloning Flickr.

If you want to write your own gallery code, then go for it--no one's
stopping you.  If you're writing it just to make yourself happy and
serve your own needs, then have fun.  If you're trying to build
something that lots of people will adopt, then you're going to have to
do a lot of work to beat Flickr, though.