[typo] Gallery support

tuomas at peippo.eu tuomas at peippo.eu
Mon Aug 21 11:47:13 EDT 2006

Quoting Scott Laird <scott at sigkill.org>:

> On 8/21/06, mathew <meta at pobox.com> wrote:
>> Well, anyone can go create an account on Flickr and use that. Takes a
>> minute or two to set up, and you get commenting on photos, tagging
>> photos, groups of photos, and so on. I kinda feel like if you can't do
>> at least as much as that, you might as well not bother. The bar has been
>> raised too high for simple solutions to be worth the bloat.
> Yeah, this is basically my opinion.  Back when I first got involved
> with Typo, I was trying to decide between working on better blog
> software or better gallery software, because I wasn't happy with my
> choices on either front.  Typo was an easier place to start, but I
> still figured that I'd get back to gallery coding for a while, until I
> started using Flickr.  Then I just gave up on the whole idea--Flickr
> is better then anything I could put together in a reasonable amount of
> time, and they're doing a great job with it.  Frankly, the $25/year
> they want for "professional" memberships is probably less then I'd pay
> maintaining my own site for a year.

Well of course you can use flickr or whatever you want but the point
was that not all users want to. People may have already some hosted
webpage with plenty of space for images so why would someone put
images to some slow(?) flickr server. It also simplifies the upload
process a lot. You dont have to first upload images to flickr and then
found out those links to be included in your post.

And if you want to show all your photos in single place within your
site it's kind of impossible with flickr or at least as long as I
know. You probably can fetch those images one by one from flickr but
isn't it the same to store on your server then.

If I just want to quickly post some one photo to be included in my
post, I'm pretty sure that I don't bother first registering to flickr
for that.

Alltough I agree that it's probably not very good idea to include
every possible  feature to typo. Some sort of plugin system would be
good where user could download/activate optional plugins if needed.
That might not be so easy to do but might be "the most proper" way to
handle this.

I also would like to see it more like a feature to resources handling
and not a separate gallery as Lars Roland pointed out. It should allow
user to nicely group same kind of media( not just photos) and perhaps
also do some other optional things like thumbnail creation with image
files if wanted. These kind of operations could possibly be handled
like plugins?