[typo] Gallery support

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Aug 21 11:26:42 EDT 2006

On 8/21/06, mathew <meta at pobox.com> wrote:
> tuomas at peippo.eu wrote:
> > Well idea was to create a simple "gallery" which would allow user to
> > easily upload photos and show them on the web. There are lots of users
> > that dont need any fancy gallery2 features and just want to show
> > couple of photos nicely organized. E.g if you want to include photo in
> > your post you would need to first create thumbnail for it and then
> > upload them both to server and then use some textile(?) magic to get
> > it showed.
>
> Well, anyone can go create an account on Flickr and use that. Takes a
> minute or two to set up, and you get commenting on photos, tagging
> photos, groups of photos, and so on. I kinda feel like if you can't do
> at least as much as that, you might as well not bother. The bar has been
> raised too high for simple solutions to be worth the bloat.

Yeah, this is basically my opinion.  Back when I first got involved
with Typo, I was trying to decide between working on better blog
software or better gallery software, because I wasn't happy with my
choices on either front.  Typo was an easier place to start, but I
still figured that I'd get back to gallery coding for a while, until I
started using Flickr.  Then I just gave up on the whole idea--Flickr
is better then anything I could put together in a reasonable amount of
time, and they're doing a great job with it.  Frankly, the $25/year
they want for "professional" memberships is probably less then I'd pay
maintaining my own site for a year.

Scott