[typo] RESTful Typo

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Aug 21 11:19:53 EDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk> wrote:
> Trejkaz <trejkaz at trypticon.org> writes:
> > On 21/08/2006, at 20:54 PM, Piers Cawley wrote:
> >
> >> The translation to RESTful URLs should be relatively
> >> straightforward. At the moment, it looks like the biggest change would
> >> be to the admin URLs. For instance admin/content would become
> >> articles/index;admin (which so wouldn't be cached).
> >
> > Whatever you do, don't make it too hard for those of us who use URL
> > rewriting to force all admin to go via HTTPS.  At the moment, my
> > pattern is more or less just "^/(admin|accounts)/.*" and I kinda like
> > the simplicity.
> >
> > If the new admin URLs all reliably end in ";admin" then the pattern
> > should be just as simple.  Much more diversion from that would start
> > to become difficult. :-)
> I can't promise they'll reliably end in admin I'm afraid. However,
> it shouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to tweak the 'require
> authentication' filter to redirect http URLs to https ones. Probably
> an environment.rb configuration, and definitely the neater solution.

I'm not completely sure that I see the point in switching URL formats.
 I actually *like* our permalink URLs, and frequently use
article/:year/:month to view a subset of the blog.  I may be in the
minority on this, though :-).

I can see moving to restful URLs for API-ish code like the feeds (and
then mirroring them with PUT, DELETE, to replace the admin interface),
but it's not clear to me that more restful permalink URLs really
achieves any particular goal.  Can you give a couple examples?