[typo] Gallery support

tuomas at peippo.eu tuomas at peippo.eu
Sun Aug 20 13:54:21 EDT 2006

I have been thinking of implementing basic gallery support for typo.
The main benefit of this would be that all site's data could be
handled at same place and design would be the same over the site.

Gallery should be simple to use and maintain. People who need some
advanced features probably uses separate gallery software like
gallery2 already so there is no need to try to have all possible
features on earth implemented.

Main features:
* Easily create and maintain many galleries
* Upload system for easy/fast photo uploads
* Exif support
* Automatic thumbnail creation
* Comments on albums/photos
* Category support for photos and tags support if needed
* Link albums/photos to posts

The best way to do this or at least what I can think of is separate
page for admin area for gallery administration.
It should allow creating new galleries and organizing old ones. Moving
photos to correct categories and so on.

Before organizing photos we actually need to upload those first.
Simplest way probably would be to reuse "resources" for this. I think
more proper way would be to create new upload system to gallery page
where you could upload multiple photos and assign categories/tags
easily. You may also want some alternative way of uploading photos
like manually copying to some location on server and then selecting
them in typo.

You can organize photos to different categories(albums) and add some
basic information. Exif information is automatically parsed and showed
on page. Photos are showed using lightbox.js but that may restricts
the usage somewhat. E.g. where you show the photo information and
possible comments? The gallery as the visitor sees it is very
simplistic and should perhaps use current theme's properties if
possible?

These are just some fast typed notes about what kind of gallery
support I would like to see in typo. All comments and criticism are
more than welcome.

I'm posting this here in hope that I could get some sort of
understanding whether this is a feature that has even a slight change
to get included in typo.

-Tuomas Peippo