[typo] 4.1 progress

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Fri Aug 18 02:13:22 EDT 2006

"Scott Laird" <scott at sigkill.org> writes:

> It should be possible.  I think Piers has something clever planned for
> sidebars, but I'm not quite sure what it is yet .

Well, you say planned. Currently the plan goes:

1.  Write a bunch of tests for a few sidebars.
2.  Refactor like mad 'til the sidebars have identical controllers and
    all the behaviour is stashed in the model and the view.
3.  Merge the controllers.
4.  Pull the controller behaviour up into a set of helper methods.
5.  Eliminate the controllers.
6.  Work out how the heck to render a view from vendor/plugins (hey, if
    we can monkey patch rails to make themes work, we should be able to
    do something similar for sidebars)
7.  Push a few sidebars out to their own plugins directories.
8.  Write a generator for a sidebar
9.  Err...
10. That's it.

I'm at the beginnings of step 2 at the moment. The meta methods,
'description' and 'setting' have moved from the controller to the
sidebar model (Sidebar now gets subclassed for every sidebar) where,
frankly, they make more sense.

Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>