[typo] More medium/long term Typo goals

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Sun Aug 13 02:24:54 EDT 2006

Timothy Freund <tim at digital-achievement.com> writes:

> As a follow up to this goal, I'd like to see better error handling in
> the sidebars.  I'll help too -- I just wanted to talk over the issue
> before writing a bunch of code in seclusion.
> I was recently contacted by someone who was having trouble configuring
> their sidebars, and most of the problems came down to bad input values.
>   He was frustrated because the values were accepted, but nothing was
> displayed in his blog, and no warnings appeared in either the admin
> console or the server logs.
> After looking at some of the RSS based sidebar plugins (Flickr,
> delicious, etc), there's a lot code that looks like it was
> copy-and-pasted.  I've started figuring out how to refactor the common
> RSS code into one place.  Sometime in the next few days I will have
> collected enough coding time to have a patch available for review.
> Piers, let me know how I can help best without stepping all over
> your toes.

Well, I'm planning on rejigging the way sidebars work to eliminate the
controller, but I'm also aiming to make the change in such a way that
most of the code that's now in controllers can port over to a model in
a fairly straightforward fashion.

So, I'd suggest continuing with the work you're doing and I'll
incorporate it when the time comes.

I've got some more work to do on the feedback page (better filtering
of what's there) before I start in on sidebars.

Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>