[typo] Atom exporting

Alastair Rankine arsptr at internode.on.net
Tue Aug 8 07:38:34 EDT 2006

On 08/08/2006, at 1:36 AM, Scott Laird wrote:

> I'd love to see an Atom-based blog export/import standard.  Does
> anyone know any of the WP guys?

Sorry I don't. And not to put a downer on this idea but one of the
reasons I migrated to Typo from WP was that WP had been sitting still
with its Atom support (it is still on 0.3 AFAIK). But yes we should
get the other blogging engines involved.

> It seems to me that the rational thing to do would be to have a "pure"
> Atom feed, including HTML for each entry, and then add an 'export'
> namespace and use tags like '<export:description>' to include the
> original markup, as well as other fields that don't map into standard
> Atom (comments open, trackbacks, etc).

Yep, except probably "typo:" might be a more appropriate namespace
prefix (yes I know these aren't signficant :).

Also, using the original source of each entry could be used instead
of the resulting HTML and it would still be valid Atom. This might be
simpler for the user to select whether they want the raw or cooked
(ie HTML) content to be included in their export, rather than have
the importer work out which of two alternative representations is
more compatible.

>   I'm not sure if static
> content, comments, and trackbacks would be better as more entries with
> a special type flag or as their own tag.

Yes, another tricky one. Comments and trackbacks would also need to
indicate which article (or page?) they are attached to.

> I suspect that we could get a few prominent non-Typo XML people
> involved in this pretty quickly, if we can sit down and produce a
> first draft of the standard.

Agree.

I can volunteer to make a start on this.