[typo] More medium/long term Typo goals
pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Thu Aug 3 18:20:40 EDT 2006
Kevin Ballard <kevin at sb.org> writes:
> Just a heads up, while I do intend on getting back into working on new
> Typo development (I know I've been doing barely anything lately), but
> for the next 3 weeks or so I'm going to be away (WWDC, vacation, etc). I
> may be on #typo a little, but a lot of the time I won't be around. I'll
> still respond to email, though.
Continuing that theme, I'm off to Sidmouth Folk Festival 'til Tuesday,
when I'll stick my nose in at the London Ruby Users Group
meeting. Expect me back on the Typo horse on Thursday or Friday next
week when I may be starting what I'm thinking of as a 'new sidebars'
branch with a todo list that goes something like:
1. Get rid of all the current sidebars and any infrastructure that
supports them, simply support the current helper method for
displaying them (I don't want to break my themes, but the helper
will probably just respond with 'this space intentionally left
blank' for the time being.
2. Experiment with various ways of providing sidebars that don't use
components to do their magic. Which thought is, even now, hurting
3. Work out which one is least horrible and most testable.
4. Commit it to the trunk, port our currently supported sidebars to
the new scheme and make everyone who has their own sidebars to
5. Wait 'til everyone has stopped crying and ported their sidebars
6. Write a handy adapter that makes old style sidebars work with the
Please note that steps 2 through 6 are *highly* speculative.
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>
More information about the Typo-list