[typo] More medium/long term Typo goals

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Thu Aug 3 18:20:40 EDT 2006

Kevin Ballard <kevin at sb.org> writes:

> Just a heads up, while I do intend on getting back into working on new
> Typo development (I know I've been doing barely anything lately), but
> for the next 3 weeks or so I'm going to be away (WWDC, vacation, etc). I
> may be on #typo a little, but a lot of the time I won't be around. I'll
> still respond to email, though.

Continuing that theme, I'm off to Sidmouth Folk Festival 'til Tuesday,
when I'll stick my nose in at the London Ruby Users Group
meeting. Expect me back on the Typo horse on Thursday or Friday next
week when I may be starting what I'm thinking of as a 'new sidebars'
branch with a todo list that goes something like:

1. Get rid of all the current sidebars and any infrastructure that
   supports them, simply support the current helper method for
   displaying them (I don't want to break my themes, but the helper
   will probably just respond with 'this space intentionally left
   blank' for the time being.

2. Experiment with various ways of providing sidebars that don't use
   components to do their magic. Which thought is, even now, hurting
   my head.

3. Work out which one is least horrible and most testable.

4. Commit it to the trunk, port our currently supported sidebars to
   the new scheme and make everyone who has their own sidebars to
   support cry.

5. Wait 'til everyone has stopped crying and ported their sidebars

6. Write a handy adapter that makes old style sidebars work with the
   new scheme.

Please note that steps 2 through 6 are *highly* speculative.

Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>