[typo] Typo's memory footprint

Steve Longdo steve.longdo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 11:53:04 EDT 2006

I have the same experience with TextDrive as Eric.  I notice that memory use
jumps 10 MB just by entering the admin console.

I've found that removing references to Sparklines helps the memory use stay
under the threshold.  I removed the sparklines_textfilter.rb and removed
the  reference to vendor/sparklines in environment.rb.  Also removing any
sidebars that you don't use from the component directory helps.

On 8/1/06, Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk> wrote:

> "Eric Sendelbach" <eric.sendelbach at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am hosting my blog on Textdrive and they have a 48 meg limit on
> > process usage. After that it just gets whacked. On a fresh restart
> > with Typo 4.0.0 its SIZE is 36016K and its RES is 33452K. A couple
> > hits on the main page tack on around 4 more megs and about 90% of the
> > time just editing an article will push it over the top. Pre 4.0.0 I
> > was running on trunk and did not experience this problem. Maybe I was
> > hovering at the limit and didn't realize it. My install of Typo is
> > sitting behind lighttpd/fastcgi.
> >
> > Does anybody on the list know if turning off or abstaining from the
> > use of certain features will help relieve how much memory is consumed?
> > In the spirit of Piers' email to look at more mid/long term goals, I
> > think that memory consumption is definitely something that could be
> > looked at, at least to offer some way of working with a lighter memory
> > footprint.
>
> I could be wrong (and I probably am, but we don't have any
> particualrly great tools for investigating this), but I think Scott's
> changes to the filter chain and caching have got rid of the big memory
> leak, but the new, highly inclusive optimized SQL for getting content
> which tends to pull in the world right at the start (reducing the hits
> on the database, no bad thing) means that the process gets very big
> rather quickly, but then doesn't get a great deal bigger after that.
>
> I don't think it's going to slim down very much I'm afraid.
>
> --
> Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>
> http://www.bofh.org.uk/

Thanks,