[typo] More medium/long term Typo goals

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Tue Aug 1 09:39:32 EDT 2006

Alastair Rankine <arsptr at internode.on.net> writes:

> On 01/08/2006, at 7:07 PM, Piers Cawley wrote:
>
>> * Finish working through the implications of the new state machine
>>   based content 'state'. Essentially, 'published?', 'spam?' and a few
>
> This looks great, but I would like to see this reflected in the admin
> interface. Particularly with spam - Wordpress' Akismet plugin does a
> great job of not only filtering out the spam but holding it in limbo
> in case of false positives. Typo does this but it's a bit
> counterintuitive from an administration perspective - they're not
> marked as presumed spam, merely unpublished. It took me a while to
> realise that real comments were being published and that spam was
> being held.

Except that's changed with the last checkin. Now the presumed stuff is
marked as Spam? and Ham? and the confirmed stuff is marked as Spam and
Ham.

> Also it seems that you (blog admin) need to go and remove unpublished
> (ie spam) comments periodically. They seem to appear on the articles
> otherwise. Or am I doing something wrong?

They shouldn't be appearing on the articles (assuming they were posted
after the spam checking code went in). And one thing I mean to add is
an option to say that marking something as definite spam should just
report that to Akismet and then delete the feedback.

> Some other suggestions:
>
>  * Ability to configure multi-column sidebars

Wah! I knew I'd missed something.

>  * A wordpress-like "dashboard" of recent comments, incoming links,
> stats (number of articles, comments, etc)

Hmm... we're not doing much in the way of intelligent stats gathering
yet, so I'm not sure how easy 'incoming links' would be to do, but I
like the idea of a dashboard.

>  * Ability to specify a license on a per-page or per-article basis
> (with a blog-wide default obviously) which would generate the right
> HTML and RDF for easy inclusion in themes. I'm thinking specifically
> of making it easy to add a creative commons license to a blog.

The problem with per-article licensing is how you sort out the
licensing of the front page. Probably doable with a sidebar that works
in a similar fashion to the current amazon sidebar (walks the list of
contents being rendered on the current page extracting book
citations/links and then builds the sidebar). But I'm still not sure
how it would *choose* the frontpage license. Ho hum. Worth thinking
about though.

Here's one I forgot:

* Investigate splitting the contents table into 'contents' (for pages
  and articles) and 'feedback' for comments and incoming
  trackbacks. The tricky part would be doing the split, and deciding
  whether it's a requirement to maintain article ids (if you do decide
  to do that, you enter a twisty little maze of RDBMSes, all
  different, as you try to make sure that new ids get generated
  correctly once you've done the conversion) or to break any
  /articles/read/n type links. I'm beginning to think we need to do
  this, articles and feedback have a fair amount in common, but the
  differences are becoming more distinct with each migration.

--
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>
http://www.bofh.org.uk/