[typo] jabber_notify.rb error

mathew meta at pobox.com
Fri Apr 14 15:58:56 EDT 2006

Piers Cawley wrote:
> Am I correct in remembering that Jabber's a peer to peer protocol?

Not really. It's a hybrid protocol--while peer-to-peer connections are
used for some functions, the core presence and messaging involves
connections to a server.

> Presumably you can just fire up a client object in some sort of accept
> connections mode and use that as your jabber server.

Unfortunately, the Jabber protocol is somewhat baroque. The designers
decided to make it use stream-based XML, instead of plain text like most
other Internet handshaking protocols. This makes it hard to build a
Jabber server (or client for that matter)--you can't use validating XML
parsers, for example, because you need to be able to parse fragments
that don't constitute a complete document with a DTD. It's about the
second worst Internet protocol I've seen. (The worst is SyncML.)

Anyhow, I think it's pretty funny to be rejecting code based on lack of
tests, when there's an almost complete lack of documentation.