[typo] HTML structure

Gary Shewan gpsnospam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 09:47:16 EDT 2006

On 14 Apr 2006, at 07:05, Piers Cawley wrote:

>   * No more overriding layouts/default.rhtml just to add a couple of
>     theme specific css files. We've already moved to having most of
>     the layout's header generated by a helper method, it should not be
>     beyond our wit to have it do something like:
>     <%= render :partial => 'common/stylesheets.rhtml' %>
>
>     as part of its strategy.
>
>   * Nail down the basic semantic structure of our layout and have
> more of the
>     individual divs rendered as partials (and hence more finely
>     overrideable by a theme). Also, the 'partial' boundary might well
>     be a good place to insert more granular fragment caching for
>     better performance.
>
>   * Make use of the hAtom microformat (and possibly other microformats
>     for other bits and pieces, is there one for tag clouds yet?)
>
>   * Get some feedback from (or become) CSS experts with an eye to
>     designing a basic page structure that's flexible enough that most
>     themes can simply provide a css file and a bunch of images. Check
>     out the CSS Zen Garden for the sort of thing that has been
>     achieved with 'pure' CSS.
>
>   * As we're breaking themes already, let's break 'em good and proper
>     so we can rebuild them stronger, better, faster...
>
> Thoughts?

I don't understand what you're getting at here ... at all.  And I've
tried.

Breaking themes has nothing to do with CSS.  Rendering a sidebar has
nothing to do with CSS, rendering the content has nothing to do with
CSS.  I could put my CSS on a wordpress install and it would look the
same (after renaming my divs).  That's the whole point of CSS - it's
just the styling.

My theme was broken because I had to change

<%= render_component(:controller => ‘sidebars/sidebar’,
:action => ‘display_plugins’ %>

<%= render_sidebars %>

in default.rhtml and that has nothing to do with how pretty my site
looks (CSS) but how the sidebar is rendered (Typo code).

Separate CSS and HTML in your mind.

Why would you want to stop a themes overriding default.rhtml (if
that's what you mean)?  As that's a nice feature.

Why are you talking about nailing down a basic structure of the
layout?  That's for a theme designer to do surely?

I'm lost.

Is it just me?  Could be ;)

I readily agree that something needs to be firmed out though because
I'd put money on the fact that nearly every theme in the contest
would be broken in trunk now.

Gary