[typo] HTML structure

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Fri Apr 14 02:05:35 EDT 2006

So, I've been looking at Scribbish[1] and the CSS Zen Garden[2] and I
like what I see. In particular, I like the idea of the hAtom
microformat for our articles, and I really like the idea of making
sure we have a robust semantic structure for our core HTML. Every time
someone has to write rhtml in their themes I cringe slightly.

So, I'm thinking that the whole Theming thing needs looking at. Here's
a few ideas:

  * No more overriding layouts/default.rhtml just to add a couple of
    theme specific css files. We've already moved to having most of
    the layout's header generated by a helper method, it should not be
    beyond our wit to have it do something like:

    <%= render :partial => 'common/stylesheets.rhtml' %>

    as part of its strategy.

  * Nail down the basic semantic structure of our layout and have more of the
    individual divs rendered as partials (and hence more finely
    overrideable by a theme). Also, the 'partial' boundary might well
    be a good place to insert more granular fragment caching for
    better performance.

  * Make use of the hAtom microformat (and possibly other microformats
    for other bits and pieces, is there one for tag clouds yet?)

  * Get some feedback from (or become) CSS experts with an eye to
    designing a basic page structure that's flexible enough that most
    themes can simply provide a css file and a bunch of images. Check
    out the CSS Zen Garden for the sort of thing that has been
    achieved with 'pure' CSS.

  * As we're breaking themes already, let's break 'em good and proper
    so we can rebuild them stronger, better, faster...

1. http://quotedprintable.com/pages/scribbish
2. http://csszengarden.com/
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>