[typo] 'pings' table

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Sun Apr 2 20:02:07 EDT 2006

Gary Shewan <gpsnospam at gmail.com> writes:

> What's the point of the 'pings' table?
> It seems to just keep a record of every site I've linked to.  That
> seems to be a bit of a weight to my db without much use.  I could see
> that there _could_ be a use, but I don't particularly want to keep a
> record of every time I've hit one of the ping servers.
> Safe to empty it periodically in the same way that I empty the
> 'sessions' table once in a while?

It's used by the notification engine to avoid pinging anywhere twice
for the same article. I'm afraid I'm not up on the workings of said
notification system, but I would be wary of emptying it or you might
find yourself incontinently pinging everywhere all over again when
someone comments on an article.

Yes. This needs to be fixed. No, it probably won't be fixed by 4.0

Probably the first step will be to change the relationship from
has_many/belongs_to to has_and_belongs_to_many or, more likely,
has_many ... through ... and use the join table as a state object for
publication state.

Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>